To make an altered CD all that is required is a compact disc (used is fine), scrapbook supplies, instant decoupage and brushes. The possibilities are endless. I really love the idea of using an altered CD for Christmas Ornaments, Wall Decor and as little keepsakes or cards. With the addition of magnetic tape the CD can be used as a magnet. A hole puncher or stapler can add ribbon in fun ways.
I discovered that my Creative Memories large circle cutter, used with the smallest blade (red) makes a perfect circle that fits on the CD. I have heard that sanding the CD helps the paper adhere to the shiny surface better. I did try to sand the CD, paint the CD and did not think it made much difference. The blank CD’s worked just fine.
- Compact Disc;
- Card Stock or Patterned Paper;
- Aleene’s Instant Decoupage;
- Scissors or CM Circle Cutter;
- Foam or small paint brush;
- (Ribbons, metal charms, photos, fibers and/or other scrapbook items)
1. Paint the CD with Instant Decoupage
2. Cut paper into a Circle to fit CD.
3. Attach paper to CD, then coat with 2 coats of Instant Decoupage;
4. Add photos and other objects by decoupaging them to CD
5. Attach ribbon, flowers and metal with hot glue gun.
6. Allow to dry.
The back of the CD may be decorated with Patterned paper, painted, or left as is. Ribbons and flowers can be attached with foam dots or a glue gun. My first example is a wedding Altered CD:
Paper Pizzaz: Roses;
Making Memories: Eyelet Quote-Wedding;
Making Memories:Paper flower-white;
Making Memories: Metal Word-Wedding;
Aleene’s Instant Decoupage-Gloss; and
Offray Black Cross Grain Ribbon.
Adhesive Tech: Hot Glue Gun.
My next two examples are Valentine CDs that my daughter and her friend made gifts.
- Compact Disc;
- Doodlebug Design: Raspberry Sunrise-Stripes;
- Doodlebug Design: Mini Brad Squares;
- Ribbon: Offray;
- Fibers by the Yard: Flower;
- Aleene’s Instant Decoupage; and
- Adhesive Tech: Hot Glue Gun.